If you are living in the UK right now, you will be enjoying the weather as much as we are. With the weather being so glorious, we need to ensure that we are looking after ourselves during the sun. TFS Healthcare’s Tips of the Week this week is to ensure that you stay cool during work and your day to day life and also to help you have the most productive day.
Our five main tips for keeping cool in the heat are:
- Wear loose fitting clothing, if you have a long shift ahead- you want to ensure that you are comfortable and cool. Wear a loose fitted outfit to ensure you don’t get too hot throughout the day.
- Ensure you have a bottle of water with you or nearby always. Whilst you are on your shift, put another water bottle into the freezer if you have one available for a cold supply of water on the go.
- We know that as a nurse you have a long day but try and avoid caffeine. Caffeine will promote dehydration and only make you feel worse. Stick to refreshing drinks such as water or juice to keep you energised.
- Find a cool spot, on your breaks ensure that you are sitting somewhere cool and not in direct sunlight. Keep cool during the day to maintain a good body temperature.
- Eat smaller portions and fresh food, big meals will build up more metabolic heat in your body, avoid foods that are high in protein which increase metabolic heat.
Have fun in the sun as we don’t get it often but stay safe and stay cool!